It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Offroad80s.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

If you are a registered user and are having troubles staying logged in or you attempt to log in and the forum dosent let you, Please read this post first If you are still having problems contact Admin.

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Diesel rebuilds/engine upgrades
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:09 pm 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

Australian State: VIC
Cruiser Model: HZJ80 GXL
Transmission: Manual
Year: 95
G'day guys.
I got a sad 1hz about to kick the bucket, and i going to the cape in 6 weeks!
Due to my lack of time i dont want to be pressed into pouring money into a rebuilt motor and end up with the same slug.
I am getting a healthy i hope 1hz from a mate to do the trip then once home look at my options.
Did you know that toyota released a 1hz turbo?Yes thats right they did!In Japan only.
I can get the genuine kit for this turbo upgrade for 2k.Have rebuilt motors in past so am considering putting this jap 1hz turbo kit in my blown motor and hooking up a turbo.Ive more than likely got a cracked head so i know other costs will come.
Id like to know what other peoples experiences have been in my situation.
Have you gone the chevy,cummins and what other options are there?
Has anyone heard of the genuine toyota 1hz factory turbos and used this kit?
Like i said they were only released in Japan

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Diesel rebuilds/engine upgrades
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:15 pm 
NSW Member
NSW Member

Cruiser Model: HDJ80 GXL
Transmission: Auto
Year: 97
Never heard of the turbo 1hz but adding a genuine toyota 1hz turbo kit to a 1hz is no different to purchasing a kit locally and putting it one, what makes a genuine factory built turbo engine is more than bolting on a turbo a slapping a sticker on the rear.

A healthy 1hz will take a turbo if you dont go stupid with boost or flog it but a 1hd-t or greater would always be a better option if you can find one at the right price

Barry

experience without knowledge is just guesswork

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:39 pm 
Champion
Champion

Cruiser Model: HZJ80 DX
I have a aftermaket DTS turbo system on my 1HZ. I had it installed at 80K on the clock and she is now 280K. Never had a problem and boost set only to 6psi enough to pull a heavy 18 foot fibreglass boat up a hill with ease. Goes good on offroad stuff as well. Always been tempting to install intercooler but I know the mains on these motors are not designed to take the extra HP So 250k's later I will upgrade to 1HD T.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:50 pm 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Australian State: QLD
Year: 94
gilly77 wrote:
G'day guys.
I got a sad 1hz about to kick the bucket, and i going to the cape in 6 weeks!

Dont under estimate the 1hz. mine has 380 on the clock and is going up the cape in 6 weeks also, will be leaving cairns around the 29july, stickers are in the post so if we cross paths we will sure to have a beer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:41 pm 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

for sure dilligaf.I leave Cairns 4th August.No my motor in trouble has a knock and oil in the water.Fuming a bit too.
Fisho great answer mate.I dont like the idea of going over 8 psi so good to hear someone happy with the results on 6!With the DTS at rpm do you find the turbo kicks in?I looked at that kit along with a heap of others.Was leaning towards the safari hoping for that to kick in a little earlier.Details of your performance would be greatly appreciated.
Barry im fully aware of there being more to it than throwing a turbo and a sticker on!!!
What im after is all the specs on that factory 1hz turbo toyota released.What differences are there?Hard to find info.I may be wrong for some reason i think its the military that used them.May be wrong on that.With the higher compression in the 1hz it can get you up to turbo stage quicker than the 1hdt.However as we know if you dont do your homework it will also die a lot quicker.
Was interested in building the factory spec keeping boost down and also adding gas injection.
Interested in hearing the enthusiasts thoughts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

am also interested to hear about other engine options.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:47 pm 
NSW Member
NSW Member

gilly77 wrote:
Barry im fully aware of there being more to it than throwing a turbo and a sticker on!!!

I was not impyling that you did not know but that a factory turbo usually has different everything so you can"t just find the bits and add them on, you would need to effectively change everything. I have never heard nor read on other forums of a factor 1hz, this does not mean one was never made just I have never heard of one.

if such an engine exists then it is unlikely that US forums would not know about it, therefore a few possibilites exist, Toyota just bolted a turbo on for military build as they do so few miles and are rebuilt with monotonous regularity the busted engines were few & far between, or the engine is nothing more than a rumour, either way you can rebuild and turbo your 1hz because even if such an engine existed the block is surely different so where would you get one.

Barry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:20 pm 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

yeah im hearing ya barry.
To be honest i never heard of the factory 1hz turbo either untill yesterday.A company told me about them yesterday who supply the original toyota kit.Has better pistons.The Gudgeon pins are bigger.I will know more on tuesday when they reopen for business hours and ill really start asking questions.Maybe you know a few questions that i should be asking them!Apparently it ran the same 1hz injection pump.Just thought id try here for some knowledge on it before speaking with the company again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:01 pm 
NSW Member
NSW Member

gilly77 wrote:
yeah im hearing ya barry.
To be honest i never heard of the factory 1hz turbo either untill yesterday.A company told me about them yesterday who supply the original toyota kit.Has better pistons.The Gudgeon pins are bigger.I will know more on tuesday when they reopen for business hours and ill really start asking questions.Maybe you know a few questions that i should be asking them!Apparently it ran the same 1hz injection pump.Just thought id try here for some knowledge on it before speaking with the company again.

The pistons, gudgeons, conrods etc are pretty much a gimme, the pump can probably be tickled to suit, Injectors???, maybe but the big one to my mind is the block & head, the extra power puts stresses on the block, if not designed for this extra stress you risk damage, the block & head could also need more water for the added heat from the extra power, off course this is assuming you want to shove 15 psi down it's throat, if you stick to 6-8 psi this is generally what people find works for these engines, although some have reported overheating after a turbo was added.

Barry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Australian State: WA
Cruiser Model: I dont have an 80
Transmission: What did I just say?
Year: I dont have an 80 yet!!
I have heard of people mentioning about "factory turbo 1hz" engines, but I believe it would be more rumor than anything. Why would Toyota create a turbo 1hz? They had the 1hd-t for that and it copes with the boost much better. If you remove the turbo from a hd-t (or add one to a 1hz:) ) they look like the same engine so I can see where the story comes from

PM me if you'd like to be added to any of the state usergroups so you can view your states forum
Check the Frequently Asked Posts before posting a potential common question

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:24 am 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

yeah ive wondered the same things shane.Seeing its not known about on here maybe it is a rumour motor.Ill find out as i said on tuesday and keep you posted.I actually thought the blocks were the same barry.Obviously not.Ill check that out in the manual ive downloaded from this site.Its a cracker of a book.Ive read through threads on here and seen you two guys involved in a lot of talks and many on overheating particularly when towing up hills.Makes you think the gas injection along with a turbo would definitely kill it.When i add all this up im starting to look at decent money.1hdt very rare these days.Whats the most succesful engine conversion you guys have heard of?Also this motor im putting in for the time being is from the wreckers.275000 k was running in a registered car,no leaks and warranty.Im going through it on tuesday.Thought maybe pull off sump check for sludge and check bores,pull of rocker cover maybe,check timing gears.Any other advice on what i should be looking for on the wreckers motor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:11 am 
NSW Member
NSW Member

gilly77 wrote:
actually thought the blocks were the same barry.Obviously not.Ill

I did not word that very well, I should have said one would assume the head & block are different to cope with the additional stress & heat.

There must be more differences between a 1hz and a 1hd-t though or everone would just be slapping them on.

Best bet for an engine is getting a complete wreck from an auction, I heard that you can no longer re-regiister any written of vehicles now like you could before so the auction prices have dropped back to wrecking value, I hope that written off now means written off as this scumbag 4wd yard cost me a shit load of money and time in court because of this.

Barry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:26 am 
Champion
Champion

Cruiser Model: HZJ80 DX
Hey Gilly, if I had a chance to decide again on which turbo to fit I would likely go for the Safari. I buddy of mine fitted the safari the same time I had mine fitted and there was a difference on when the extra power kicked in. His kicked in much earlier and the other think I noticed he had that nice whistling sound and mine didnt, dont know why we both had same exhaust and air filter set up. I am no turbo tech but I think it had something to do with the turbine pitch. I will try to look for my before and after dyno specs and share it with ya.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:49 am 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

Thanks for that fisho.the safari charts appear as though it kicks in earlier.Good to hear that confirmed in the real world.
Barry thats interesting about the wreck prices at auctions.I will look into that.How did you get stung and end up in court.
Your right what your saying about everyone would be doing it if it were as simple as a bottom end kit.The price difference between the two is a lot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:59 pm 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

Finding some info, the motor was called a 1hzt. different pistons gudgeons main end bearings, head and head gasket.There was something different with the pump however it was still an indirect injection unlike the direct injection on the 1hdt.
It appears it never came out in a landcruiser.It was on coaster buses in the mid 90's

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours