It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Offroad80s.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

If you are a registered user and are having troubles staying logged in or you attempt to log in and the forum dosent let you, Please read this post first If you are still having problems contact Admin.

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: 1HZ w/Turbo OVERHEATING please help :(
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:42 pm 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

Australian State: NSW
Cruiser Model: HZJ80 GXL
Transmission: Manual
Year: 95
hey guys
im currently very frustrated after putting countless hours and effort into my car to have the same result. its a hzj80r 95 model with about 575000km, running safari turbo kit on 10psi. Kit has been on their for as long as we have owned the car and thats 10 years easy.

Relevant work done to it (to do with cooling system etc);

- Aftermarket AutoMeter water temp gauge with sender unit installed
- Brand new water pump (aftermarket)
-New Gates timing belt
-All new silicone hoses and T hose clamps for turbo
-All hoses recently changed along with hose clamps
-Custom Front Grille made for better air flow
- Thermo Fan installed infront of aircon condenser powered manually
- New alternator belts
-Brand new 4 core copper brass radiator
-New Genuine Thermostat installed
-New Genuine AISIN fan clutch installed
-New Radiator shroud (all sealed and not blocked)
-New Genuine heater valve for air con
- new radiator cap (ive tried two different ones, one that came with radiator and other is tridon one which im using now)

Services done to hope change things;

Fulled engine oil with Liqui Moly engine flush x2 bottles, drained that then filled motor with 9+ litres of straight diesel and ran for 2 mins from cold engine, flushed that out then changed oil filter and filled with 15w 40 super diesel valvoline engine oil (always use this one, never changed it). done this type of flush to remove any sort of sludge possibly causing oil heating issues.

Fulled engine block with external water pump and disconnected thermostat (heater core on) used radiator flush twice on different occasions as well.

Also Done Hydrocarbon test on radiator cap area to test for any head gasket leaks (liquid never changed colour even after 5-10mins, stayed blue)

Done Air pressure test on cooling system from radiator cap with a load of either 10 or 15 psi, kept pressure.

There is no spotties or anything obstructing air flow to the radiator, besides thermo fan on one side.
Ive also cleaned the fan itself thoroughly (no damage shown on it)

Normal operating temperature driving around streets between 60-80kmph and shifting at 2,000rpm at most - temp will sit on about 80-83 degrees Celsius
Driving between 80-100kmph and shifting closer to 3,000rpm temperature rises up to 90 quickly and if you continue i can easily reach 100 degrees (at that time i just pull aside and allow it to cool down while engine still running and thermo fan on)

Please help me figure this out guys its killing me, my only option is looking at a costly rebuild. but even so id still want to know the cause for future reference.
I do intend keeping the car indefinite. Please dont suggest silly things like swap to petrol motor or sell car etc, genuine advise needed thanks.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 1HZ w/Turbo OVERHEATING please help :(
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Australian State: WA
Cruiser Model: I dont have an 80
Transmission: What did I just say?
Year: I dont have an 80 yet!!
Was there any particular changes that either made things worse or improved? Also do you have an EGT gauge? Might be a bad tune and is over fuelling when at max load

PM me if you'd like to be added to any of the state usergroups so you can view your states forum
Offroad80s Custom Google Search

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:18 pm 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

Stock exhaust with leaky flexy bit, no egt gauge. Had pump reconditioned like 2 or 3 years ago but ran fine since then up until some momths back now. No particular difference realised as i only just got the water temp gauge recently to start noticing the temps. Genuine thermostat and fan clutch have seemed of helped plus more tensioned belts for greater water pump operation. Once car heats up to like 100c it takes its time dropping back to 80c just on idle and thermo fan on

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:07 am 
SA Member
SA Member

Cruiser Model: FZJ80 RV
Year: 93
Im no mechanic but here goes anyway..
have you verified the gauge with an IR thermometer ?
is it actually boiling and spitting water when it gets to 100 degrees?
can you hear the fan roaring when it is hot and have you made sure it stops spinning when shut down the motor or does it spin freely for a while?
did you test the new thermostat by hanging it in a pot of water on the stove first?
have you got exactly the right type of radiator cap for the radiator you have fitted ie Japanese for japanese or aussie for aussie?
are you losing water / coolant?
are any of the rad hoses sucking in when the motor is revved?

few thing more to check

Craig.

12/93 FZJ80- sold ( to a mate so its not too far away)
11/2010 VDJ200R GXL in Graphite. Twin Turbo Diesel V8 goodness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:09 am 
SA Member
SA Member

Cruiser Model: FZJ80 RV
Have you still got the factory gauge connected?

Craig.

12/93 FZJ80- sold ( to a mate so its not too far away)
11/2010 VDJ200R GXL in Graphite. Twin Turbo Diesel V8 goodness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:39 am 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Australian State: QLD
Um - No EGT gauge? My 2c worth - stop spending time and money on anything else until you get an EGT gauge fitted (preferably pre-turbo ) and actually see whats happening. EGT is as close as you can get sensibly to measuring CHTs (cylinder head temps) . Report back with your EGTs over a range of driving conditions and then at least we can see if there is any cause for concern there. It may well be that your EGTs are fine but at the moment you just don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:46 pm 
Here to often
Here to often

Australian State: VIC
Cruiser Model: FZJ80 GXL
Transmission: Auto
Year: 96
Can you get a cooler thermostat? i.e. one that opens a few degrees sooner?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:48 pm 
Here to often
Here to often

Cruiser Model: HDJ80 GXL
Year: 91
In addition to what others have said, here is my 2c worth. A hydrocarbon test on a diesel is not reliable. It works on petrols. If you suspect a leaking HG, better to put a pressure gauge on the radiator while the engine is running and take a look at how the pressure rises. Need some experience to do this though. Other signs of a leaking HG are pressurising of the overflow bottle and the coolant level never reaching full to the top of the radiator. If you open your radiator cap when it is stone cold, the coolant level should be right at the top and wetting the bottom of the cap. If it keeps going down even when you fill it up, then there is a leak somewhere, possibly the HG.

Another simple thing - did you fully bleed air from the cooling system? The 80 is not an easy to bleed, so you need to do this properly. Is the thermo fan on full time or does it cut in at a particular temperature. If it is the latter, then check whether is is operating properly when hot. I never liked thermo fans, especially if it is not on the stock engine.

The exhaust leak from the flex /rubber joint does not sound good. It can mean a clogged exhaust downstream. This would mean heat build-up at the turbo end. So check that the exhaust is flowing nicely. If not, you know what to do.. Hope you sort it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:21 pm 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

Appreciate your responses and time youve taken out of your lives to help me out, i will work on thoses things mentioned, i am quite strap for cash at the moment so wont be able to do straight away but i'll get back with some results soon hopefully.

Thermo fan is aftermarket and is powered manually when i desire by incabin switch. We done a pressure test on the radiator cap (though pumped about 15psi into the system while off to check for any leaks). Ive wanted to get a new exhaust for so long now but no use having a brand new one on a car that doesnt travel like 10ks without dying in the ***, wanted to resolve my heating issue first. Either way i am going to keep the car so might do exhaust anyways to benefit results

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:20 pm 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

By memory every time ive opened the radiator cap hot or cold its been neck full, i am going to do that pressure test while driving this weekend hopefully.
Whats the best way to bleed all the air out of the system? Isnt that what the jingle valve is for on the top of the thermostat? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:13 pm 
Here to often
Here to often

Cruiser Model: HDJ80 GXL
Year: 91
Not aware that there was a valve on top of the thermostat as you mention. Could you be referring to the radiator cap which has an inbuilt valve to release any pressure over its rating?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:20 pm 
SA Member
SA Member

Australian State: SA
Year: 94
My way of bleeding the air from coolant. Ensure the heater valve is open so fluid flows through it, Park vehicle so front is slightly elevated. Run engine until it comes up to operational temperature, with radiator cap off. Monitor coolant level as it will drop as an air bubble works it way through the system and out at the radiator filler. When all is stable, Check that the level in the top tank is full, no bubbles, replace the radiator cap, turn off engine and ensure the overflow tank is to the full level.
Mike

Last edited by mwitcher on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:28 pm 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Australian State: QLD
Yep, what he said. ^^^^^^

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:12 pm 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

I'll try that then, sounds practical and simple. Yeah the thermostat has a jiggle valve that allows air to get through the system whether its hot or cold temperature.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:21 pm 
SA Member
SA Member

Australian State: SA
Year: 94
The little valve in the middle of the thermostat is to allow a small amount of water to circulate as the engine warms up (stops hot spots near cylinder combustion chambers. When the water temperature rises to operational temperature the whole of the thermostat opens up to allow full water flow to let water flow in the radiator and cool down. In the procedure I mentioned Bubbles, these are more evident when the thermostat opens fully.
Mike

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours