It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Offroad80s.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

If you are a registered user and are having troubles staying logged in or you attempt to log in and the forum dosent let you, Please read this post first If you are still having problems contact Admin.

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Auto or Manual
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Australian State: VIC
Cruiser Model: Looking For an 80
Transmission: What did I just say?
Year: I dont have an 80 yet!!
Hi all,

I am new here and looking to buy an 80 purely for 4x4/camping/lads trips. It won't be a daily driver so I am looking at 4.5 petrols.

I have test driven a manual and I like them but I am interested to know how the Auto's perform off road. I have never owned an auto 4x4 but I realise the driving style is different.

It seems there are a lot more auto's on the market with much less abuse as they seem to be more daily drivers and tow vehicles, they are also cheaper!

So opinions please Auto or Manual? If you have owned both I am really keen to get your honest opinions. Are the auto's tough enough for the hard stuff or do they melt? Do manual clutches let go at the first sign of trouble? etc etc.

Thaks all.

Azza

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Auto or Manual
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:07 pm 
SA Member
SA Member

Australian State: SA
Cruiser Model: FZJ80 GXL
Transmission: Auto
Year: 94
I have owned manuals of earlier series Cruisers, including one with an overdrive unit that worked on all gears 5 forward and reverse. I bought my present 80 in Oct 2002, it was an auto, great for my arthritic knees. Some time after that I had the gearbox overhauled with all new bearings and seals, I seem to remember more as a preventative maintenance measure, not due to a fault. The vehicle now has 450,000 km on it, and half of that since I had the overhaul. It is great for towing the caravan or laded trailers, I have done a fair bit of Outback touring with it. It probably uses a bit more fuel than a manual, which, to me is offset by my arthritis, easier driving stop start in the city. Engine braking I use on a couple of long hill descents by taking it out of overdrive and it seems to hold the vehicle to 80km/h. In off road situations I reckon a gear could be selected to provide sufficient braking. I think later models have a first gear lock out to prevent wheel spin when driving off in sand?

I have had to replace manual clutches in previous vehicles a couple of times, at least one of those was when I had a preventative maintenance bearings and seals prior to upgrading to a caravan from a camper trailer. A work Hi Lux had a clutch actually fail, but it spent its whole working life in the outback, often towing a trailer generator or other trailer filled with distilled water or large lead acid batteries, I forgave it after the hard life and that it failed when the Toyota dealer was taking it for a test run after I mentioned a slipping clutch.

Auto or Manual? For me definitely an Auto every time.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:40 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Australian State: VIC
Cruiser Model: Looking For an 80
Transmission: What did I just say?
Year: I dont have an 80 yet!!
Thanks Mike, I'm keen to take one for a test drive and see how it feels in low range etc. The first gear lock out feature would be very handy as being able to tap into any engine braking ability on a decent.
How much did the auto overhaul and manual clutch replacements cost? Just a ball park figure, considering what I buy will be pretty tired that would be me if the first jobs on the list.
Cheers
Azz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 pm 
80 Advocate
80 Advocate

Australian State: WA
Cruiser Model: HDJ80 GXL
Year: 97
ive had manual non turbo diesel and auto turbo diesel

I prefer the auto, less effort to drive, great for towing, flick it back to 2nd when you start bogging in sand, but did notice a change in fuel economy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:39 am 
SA Member
SA Member

Australian State: SA
Cruiser Model: FZJ80 GXL
Year: 94
The auto overhaul was 23 April 2008 at 300,100km. The work was recondition and refit rear engine oil seal. Remove auto trans, dismantle, clean & inspect, overhaul, replace all parts as per Aust standards, replace torque converter assembly, refill and road test. (the operator got a speeding ticket, as unbeknownst to him he was in a 50k zone when he was looking at shifting patterns). $3,102. The gearbox had not been opened before and has since not been a problem. The works Hi Lux cost nothing for the 250,000km I did in 3.5 years as it was a company vehicle. The 60 series was last century, and there was other work in the cost, a shaft into the overdrive had wear on it, the clutch was replaced as the Diesel clutch had the same number as the petrol engine, so a Tojo Dyna clutch for a 2h engine model was fitted. I think it also cost around 3 grand, plus I bought a cheap car and sold it back for the same money a few days later when the Cruiser was again on the road.
Mike

An advantage of the 1FZ-FE petrol engine, is that it uses a Z9 oil filter which are a common type, were used on Holden Red motors, and considerably cheaper than the (I think Z181) oil filter for the 2H Diesel. Often available with an oil and filter deal from SCA and the like.
Mike

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours