It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Offroad80s.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

If you are a registered user and are having troubles staying logged in or you attempt to log in and the forum dosent let you, Please read this post first If you are still having problems contact Admin.

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: My big Ayers Rock adventure in 5 weeks!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:22 pm 
WA Member
WA Member

Australian State: WA
Cruiser Model: HZJ80 GXL
Transmission: Manual
Year: 95
Hiya everyone,

It’s been awhile since I have posted up and been on, I’ve been flat out busy getting my Cruiser ready for my huge massive trip in 5 weeks, and am now panicking now that it’s finally kicked in that I’m actually leaving lol.

I think I have everything I need and to be packed, but it’s always good to get other peoples opinions and a new set of eyes I guess to go over what I do or don’t have, or what I have or haven’t forgotten lol.

I live in WA and am going to Ayers Rock, travelling via the Great Central Road with my daughter and my dog. Promised Mum and Dad I wouldn’t do the Gunbarrel Hwy alone, but looks like there is another car coming, so looks like we will be travelling the Gunbarrel, coming out at Warburton and heading onto Uluru.

So far I have:

Camper Trailer – brand new and has been on a few camp outs already and is ready to go (they even chucked in the top of the range hot water cube for showers!!!)
2 x fridges.
1 x 9kg gas bottle (looking at buying another smaller one for the shower cube, but unsure where to put it).
3 awnings for shade.
Pod on top of roofrack.
Extra water tank in the Cruiser.
Shade to keep the sun out and keep the inside of the car cool.
Fans for sleeping and inside the Camper.
Bowls, plates and dog bowl.
Spare tyres.
Recovery gear.
HF Radio plus HF licence and fully registered.
Front end all brand new and rebuilt, including steering box, steering arm etc
Long range tank being fitted
Brand new tyres
Dual spare wheel carrier
Spare wheel for Camper
Coffee machine (Yes I’m a coffee snob haha)
Spare belts and hoses.
Spare fluids and liquids.

Cruiser is currently in for the next 3 days getting work done as well as a huge massive service and everything replaced.

Also any tips or ideas on food and cooking? My daughter is more of a chicken eater and doesn’t eat any other meat, other than mince when I cook my pasta sauce lol. Actually I lie, as she will eat ham aswell, but that is more for sandwiches than dinner sometimes.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: My big Ayers Rock adventure in 5 weeks!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:28 pm 
SA Member
SA Member

Australian State: SA
Cruiser Model: FZJ80 GXL
Transmission: Auto
Year: 94
If the camper has 14" tyres, are they Light Truck tyres?? Permits for Aboriginal lands? In the 1980's fuel was available at Warburton and Docker River, Diesel less of a problem than petrol. Mount Beadell has a large stainless steel theodolite monument to him. Giles Met Station has his grader on display in Lennie's Cat Cage. In spite of what the sign in Wiluna says, the Gunbarrel ends at Carnegie Station. In your direction, at Jackie Junction, the Gunbarrel heads north in a curve around the Rawlinson Ranges to Giles Met Station. If you haven't come across them Lennie's books are a good read, while Mark Shephard's "Too Long in the BUsh - Len Beadell Looks Back" has all the events in chronological order. The CD Lennie's Shepparton Talk is also a great listen. Depending on time and day Warburton and Docker have shops. My last time out there was in 1988, so I'm envious of your trip.
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cruiser Model: I dont have an 80
Transmission: What did I just say?
Year: I dont have an 80 yet!!
Very jealous, that would be an awesome trip. Couple of extras worth considering:
-Spare fuel filter -especially if you have any remote fuel fill ups planned.
-Spare wheel bearings for cruiser and camper. Shouldn't be an issue if everything is serviced and in good nick. But 2 sets of wheel bearings for the cruiser can do both front and rear axles so doesn't take up much space.
-Stone guarding for the camper. It will cope and absolute hammering back there on the gravel roads so extra mudflaps on the cruiser helps. Last thing you want on the middle of a gravel road is a busted rear window to let all the dust in.
-Camera
-basic tool kit

Im sure I'll think of more to add........

PM me if you'd like to be added to any of the state usergroups so you can view your states forum
Offroad80s Custom Google Search

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:09 pm 
SA Member
SA Member

Stone guard on camper, angled to deflect stones downward, or, at the very least - heavy cardboard taped over the Cruiser rear (tailgate) window.
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:44 am 
WA Member
WA Member

Thanks heaps for the tips,

Yep Camper has the stoneguard, Cruiser has brand new rotors, bearings, hubs and grease, Diff breathers have been extened.
Camper is a 4WD one with rims and tyres i can swap and change from the Cruiser to and from, so i'm all good there.
Permits i have saved on my computer already and have been told if i miss anything now, i can get them at either Carneigie Station or Warburton if i need to, they are three day permit only, so i will have to suss out date of when i'm going through there.

hhhmmmmmm heavy cardboard sounds like a great idea, i have solar blankets on their way now that are very thick to cover all rear windows, so that should help too, but i have heavy cardboard here at work and will take that home and cut it to suit, thank you for that tip :)

Tools are already packed, and wheel bearings and fuel filter i am picking up over the next couple of weeks too.
Timing belt is being done as Cruiser is about to click over the 300,000 mark, so he's still a baby :)

SO excited but very nervous too lol, can't wait!!!!

mwitcher, that is brilliant thank you. I've been given a cd of Len Beadell talking for a good hour about how he started and what he went through and all the things he did, and it's such an awesome cd to listen to, the books you mentioned sound amazing also and i'll have to hunt them down ASAP.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:21 am 
SA Member
SA Member

The cardboard goes on the outside. We used it when towing a trailer across the Gunbarrel and Anne Beadell highways. Len, when doing his surveys, didn't look at it as a long trip - rather I can make it to that tree on the horizon, then when he got there could make it to another object, thus breaking down a long scary trip into bite sized portions. Carnegie Station used to have a camp ground and sold souvenirs "Gunbarrel" T shirts, post cards and probably Lennie's Books. One book that wasn't published until after his death is "Around the World in 80 Delays", the story of his trip in the era of the movie Around the World in 80 Days. Rigbys didn't publish it as it wasn't in the Outback Australia genre. Len talking on the CD is his normal talking voice, not a put up voice.
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:23 pm 
Here to often
Here to often

Cruiser Model: HZJ80 Standard
Year: 96
food wise, do you have a freezer section in your fridges?
if so buy a load of meat, what ever you prefer, take it out of the packaging, and either vac seal it, or glad wrap it really well. then before your freeze it, try and mold it into square blocks, then throw in the freezer. think tetris, it doesnt look the most appetizing, but if chicken is your fav it will probably get cut into strips anyway.

also, buy plastic containers that fit well into your fridge, square is heaps better than round ones. Cheap take away ones from coles work well in my evakool.

i also have a cheapie 12V pie warmer. some people hate on them, but i love mine. saves heaps on roadhouse food etc, also good for a pie & smash dinner. does drain power so i only use it when i'm driving.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:16 pm 
Here to often
Here to often

Australian State: VIC
Cruiser Model: HDJ80 GXL
Year: 91
Get the engine mounting bolts and the transmission mounting bolts checked while the truck is being serviced. My engine mounts had some play which caused the engine to bump the body under the firewall in one particularly large hole on the way to Dalhousie springs ( Alice springs via Old Ghan road). As your trailer is new, be prepared to do a bit of tightening along the way. Suggest you carry a good socket set (include a 24mm one for all the diffs and transmission boxes). As you have 6 tyres to look after, a 12v pump and a tyre repair kit may be a good idea too. Also, flies can be a real pain at this time of the year. Get some fly netting which can be pulled over the head and if anyone is particularly sensitive to insects, some spray-on repellant. Apart from hoses etc. a spare radiator cap rides in my toolbox. Some recovery equipment - shovel, high-lift jack, tow strap shackels etc. Shock absorbers will take a beating. Let them cool down if you find them too hot after a long run. I tend to carry some stuff for electrical trouble shooting and repair too - multimeter, spare wire, fuses, globes. And finally, a good first aid kit.

Have a safe and fun trip and tell us about it when you get back.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:55 pm 
SA Member
SA Member

Attachment:
080 - Copy.jpg
No matter what tyre troubles you have, it can't be as bad as this. On a number of trips there were only a couple of punctures on the vehicle and trailer I drove. On one trip the big bus had a number of punctures in these. The tracks (Oops highways) are wide enough for a Cruiser, the big bus had one side of wheels in the windrow. This photo taken on Anne Beadell Highway, just east of Serpentine Lakes and WA / SA border.
Mike

One thing, don't overload the vehicle. If the second vehicle is a Land Cruiser, or even a Hi Lux the wheel bearings are the same, check spares for commonality between the two vehicles to cut down the spares carried, ie share the load. The timing will have you doing it in a hot period, so take it easy on the vehicles to avoid overheating, if necessary travel early in the day and try to find shade during the hottest parts, though for afternoon travelling, find a camp site in time to set up in daylight. Watch out for roadside trees, or home made sign posts there are a number of aluminium signs made by Lennie with the Gunbarrel Road Construction Company listed, as he used to say, so people would know who to blame for the roads.
Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:08 pm 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Australian State: QLD
Cruiser Model: Some Other Landcruiser
Year: 02
Hi Mike Thats a great B/W picture, is that a 60 series cruiser or before its time? the big 20'' tyres were they off a exploration vehicle? can you tell the story.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:15 am 
SA Member
SA Member

The tyres are 23.5" diameter 18.5" width, super singles as seen on some fuel tankers. The International 4WD bus was fitted with them, plus 2 spares. The Cruiser is a 60 series Naturally Aspirated Diesel, coming over the bull bar are two heavy duty cables to a large capacity air compressor. It was a safari trip across the Gunbarrel, down to Laverton, then Across the Anne Beadell to Coober Pedy. Will have to think about a bit of a dit to write up, maybe in Camping Corner. I should have given credit to the B&W photo of tyre repairs to Martin Jacka of the Adelaide Advertiser who was on the trip.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:06 am 
SA Member
SA Member

None of us have mentioned camera. For my first trip I bought a Single Lens Reflex with standard and a zoom lens (plenty of film). A DSLR would be the way to go with SD card (s) for LOTS of photos. Use the highest resolution the camera will allow and possibly a "Landscape" setting for general photos of the countryside.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cruiser Model: I dont have an 80
Transmission: What did I just say?
Year: I dont have an 80 yet!!
mwitcher wrote:
None of us have mentioned camera.

I did, although not in the same detail as you :) :
shanegtr wrote:
Very jealous, that would be an awesome trip. Couple of extras worth considering:
-Spare fuel filter -especially if you have any remote fuel fill ups planned.
-Spare wheel bearings for cruiser and camper. Shouldn't be an issue if everything is serviced and in good nick. But 2 sets of wheel bearings for the cruiser can do both front and rear axles so doesn't take up much space.
-Stone guarding for the camper. It will cope and absolute hammering back there on the gravel roads so extra mudflaps on the cruiser helps. Last thing you want on the middle of a gravel road is a busted rear window to let all the dust in.
-Camera
-basic tool kit

Im sure I'll think of more to add........

PM me if you'd like to be added to any of the state usergroups so you can view your states forum
Offroad80s Custom Google Search

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:32 pm 
WA Member
WA Member

nick.80 wrote:
food wise, do you have a freezer section in your fridges?
if so buy a load of meat, what ever you prefer, take it out of the packaging, and either vac seal it, or glad wrap it really well. then before your freeze it, try and mold it into square blocks, then throw in the freezer. think tetris, it doesnt look the most appetizing, but if chicken is your fav it will probably get cut into strips anyway.

also, buy plastic containers that fit well into your fridge, square is heaps better than round ones. Cheap take away ones from coles work well in my evakool.

i also have a cheapie 12V pie warmer. some people hate on them, but i love mine. saves heaps on roadhouse food etc, also good for a pie & smash dinner. does drain power so i only use it when i'm driving.

Yeah i have 2 fridge/freezers and am hoping to use one as a fridge and one as a freezer, still have to figure out how to use them properly. I also have the cryovac at home, so will remember to pack that and take it with me too.

I have the portable chair with bags for a toilet, square containers are an awesome idea.

I was also thinking potatoes and fruit and how to bring the big bags of stuff, maybe another big plastic container to put them all in??

I am going ot the 4WD and Adventure show this weekend, so will keep an eye out on a pie warmer on special and more lighting for my awnings at least.

I now have 3 lots of soalr panels, as i just won a set of 90W Solar Panels from SUpercheap Autos, so will have plenty of solar power to keep the batteries sorted :)

I bought my daughter the you beaut Canon 7D with a shitload of attachments a few years ago as she wants to be a photographer, so camera is sorted.

Yep all that was checked during his service and all pronounced aok :)

I plan on taking as little as i have to, as overloading is something i don't want to do, and not driving through the hear of the day is also a good idea.

I have a very large piece of perfect cardboard here at work, so will be taking this home and sticking it on the rear window too, thank you so much for that, i do really appreciate that tip :D

29 days and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:11 am 
WA Member
WA Member

16 days to go and i think i have everything ready to go now.

Spent the weekend cooking (well my slow cooker did haha) and have cryovacked it and they are nicely frozen in my freezer ready to be packed to go.

Have some more cooking to do, and almost fully packed the car up.
I looked into the pie warmer, and everyone i talked to told me (even the sellers lol) they suck a shitload of power and kill your batteries really quickly, especially if you accidentally leave them plugged in when you turn your car off, and even if you have solar panels, they aren't guaranteed to keep the charge up in your battery :/ , So i decided against that and am just packing nibblies for along the way :)

I won a pair of 90W solar panels from Super Cheap Autos in a competition i entered, and they have arrived and are packed and ready to go aswell.

As long as everyone won't get too shitty, i'll update and upload as many pics as i can along the way with what we experience and see :)

Am really excited :D

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours