It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:40 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Offroad80s.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

If you are a registered user and are having troubles staying logged in or you attempt to log in and the forum dosent let you, Please read this post first If you are still having problems contact Admin.

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: How hard is it to rebuild a 1HZ?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:06 am 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

Cruiser Model: HZJ80 GXL
Transmission: Manual
Year: 93
I'm thinking of Turbocharging (7psi) my heavy breathing 400k 1HZ, and would like to rebuild it before I subject it to the extra stresses. Has any one on the forum successfully rebuilt one in a DIY situation? I've done gear boxes, the head on my wife's surf, swivel hubs , suspension and so on, and would like the experience of rebuilding the engine myself and really don't have the money to pay some one else to do the job? What steps would people recommend I take during the rebuild to guarantee longevity, what kits are ok, what parts to get genuine, are genuine pistons and rods ok or is it worth upgrading? One diesel mechanic I spoke to (rural) said these engines are very robust and new bearings, rings and a bore would be enough if every thing checks out, another mechanic (metro) said that its impossible to rebuild it myself and that every thing needs to be x-rayed, shot penned and about 3 other things I had never heard of, and that I would be looking at close to 8k if nothing was wrong. Which one is right?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: How hard is it to rebuild a 1HZ?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:54 am 

Australian State: NSW
Cruiser Model: FZJ80 GXL
Year: 96
Your bush mechanic has the more realistic and budget conscious suggestion, but the metro mechanic suggestion is the best way to ensure it will last another 400,000km - especially with a turbo fitted.

For the most part, the best compromise is to remove the engine yourself, strip it down and take all the parts to the machine shop for repairs and machining. (this is easily done by anyone who knows the difference between a screwdriver and a ring spanner). For an additional yet reasonable fee, the engine shop can assemble the engine in long block form (crank, rods and pistons installed, along with your reco cylinder head fitted with new head gasket. This is an option to seriously consider as they will ensure all bearings and ring gaps are set correctly and they will most likely offer a warranty on the engine if they do so. All that's left for you to do is fit the ancillaries and bolt it back into the engine bay.

Check out my 1FZFE engine rebuild thread in the SHED section as it will give you a rough cost guideline including parts. Fitting heavier duty aftermarket pistons to your 1HZ is a good safety precaution as the pistons in these engines are made of a softer material than that of the factory turbo charged engines. The 1HZ pistons are prone to failure (cracking or melting) under turbo applications. An while it is mostly through high boost applications, it's a good piece of mind option that doesn't cost a whole lot more in the greater scheme of things.

However, to get the best out of the rebuild, you will also have to consider getting your injectors and fuel pump services, along with anything else that needs a look at eg; your cooling system. By doing most of the work yourself and not going overboard, there's no reason you couldn't have a fully rebuilt engine up and running for around $4-$5K plus another $3-$4k for a DIY turbo and intercooler set up that would see many more years of service with a much greater power output. Some might argue otherwise but I recon turbo charging an engine with 400,000km is asking for trouble sooner or later so an engine rebuild would be the smartest investment for longevity and reliability.

Also, as an FYI, when a machine shop X-rays engine parts, they basically hook it up to a powerful magnet, pour a magnetic solution over it and inspect it under a black light. If any cracks are present, they show up as a strong concentration of fluorescent magnetic material within the surface of the crack. From there, it can be determined if the damage is suitable for repair or the part need to be replaced.

Shot peening is a method used to relieve stresses in metal parts and is also done to increase the strength of the component by changing the molecular structure of the metal. The process is a bit like sand blasting but without the abrasive action and steel balls are used in place abrasive media such as sand.

As a minimum in almost every engine rebuild case, just the cranks are crack tested as these are subjected to near constant high loads. However, it's mainly in high performance applications that engine parts are shot peened. Also, if your not experiencing any over heating issues, coolant loss or coolant in the oil etc it would be fair to assume your cylinder head is in perfect working order and simply in need of a basic recondition. The bonus of having the entire engine rebuilt , especially with the intention of turbo charging it, is the block can also be machined to a perfectly flat and square finish - it is common for head gaskets to fail, even after the head has been machined and the gasket replaced, if there is any distortion in the cylinder bock deck surface - an often over looked cause in many engines with repeat had gasket failures.

Check the Frequently Asked Posts before posting a potential common question

Forced95 wrote:
Meh, it all seems like a lot of farking around tryin to get an oiler to run like a petrol...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Australian State: WA
Cruiser Model: I dont have an 80
Transmission: What did I just say?
Year: I dont have an 80 yet!!
If your going to the expensive of rebuilding your 1hz, then just go out looking for a 1hd-t that needs a rebuild and go from there. The $$$ involved would be very similar compared to rebuilding and turboing a 1hz and you'd end up with a much more reliable engine

PM me if you'd like to be added to any of the state usergroups so you can view your states forum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:05 am 
NT Member
NT Member

Australian State: NT
Cruiser Model: HDJ80 40th Anniversary
Year: 98
Have a look here believe me its sometimes better and cheaper to get it done by someone else

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Landcruiser-Engi ... 5196cdbcc3
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Landcruiser-Engi ... 33636050f9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:17 pm 

Those eBay links are damn good value for money - and, as Shane said, the 1HDT is a much better starting point than the 1HZ if you're looking for turbo diesel power.

Forced95 wrote:
Meh, it all seems like a lot of farking around tryin to get an oiler to run like a petrol...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:54 pm 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Australian State: QLD
Year: 94
GGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I hate this forum.... so many mods ..... so little $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If an when i do my motor (386k atm) i will go the 1HDT an more than likely go the reco for waranty purposes.

ohh an i like the Datto word n i s s a n.. that is gold

Come on my lucky LOTTO numbers... i want more mods

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:33 am 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Cruiser Model: HDJ80 GXL
Year: 92
since your 1hz is the same bock as a 1hd-twhy not buy all the parts such as turbo injector pump and pistons and all that and just make your 1hz into a factory 1hd-t?
all you should have to mod is a turbo oil return into the sump
thats what ive been told when i had my hzj79 but feel free to correct me if im worng
thanks
jamie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:53 am 

I think the compression ratio is different and they use different pistons as well that I know of. It is an option but I think it would be a very expensive way of going about it with the cost of individual reco parts these days and still have the assembly issues to deal with if your not too great on the spanners.

Forced95 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1hd-t block is basically the same as a 1hz - are a few differeneces in regards to turbo oil lines etc.... Cranks are same as far as im aware. Rods, pistons, head, injectors, injector pump, flywheel and clutch are all different.

PM me if you'd like to be added to any of the state usergroups so you can view your states forum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:01 am 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

Year: 93
Would love 1hdt how ever finding an item to rebuild and doing so for less than the cost of an import is probably unlikely, especially in SA where every thing seems less for more than what is available in the east! Price difference on Ebay reco engines is a little alarming is some one making a healthy profit or is some one "CHEAPER", can any one recommend either of these parties? Isn't there under piston oil cooling in the 1hdt, that would be a major difference between the to blocks?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:44 am 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Cruiser Model: HDJ80 GXL
Year: 92
not that i know of
if you get all the pistons turbo injector pump and other little things you can rebuild your 1hz into a 1hd-t
the biggest part you need is the 1hd-t head as its totally different to the 1hz head
and need to make up a oil feed and return and the power gain is amazing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Broke It wrote:
Isn't there under piston oil cooling in the 1hdt, that would be a major difference between the to blocks?

1HZ has those as well

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:45 am 
WA Member
WA Member

Transmission: Auto
Year: 97
Also the hd-t has extra oil squirters under the piston to keep it cooler

96 DX with 4" lift 35's high mount wich

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:24 pm 
WA Member
WA Member

Cruiser Model: HZJ80 Standard
Year: 91
Hi,

Im looking at getting myself a 1hdt-fte (24-valve) which is even better. And after reading the conversion that someone made of a 1vd-fte (4.5 litre v8 diesel) into a 105 series, i think the best option to get yourself an engine is to buy a rolled 100 series with the engine you want from pickles or manheim-fowles.

I also thought about rebuilding my 1HZ but its just too expensive, and having to buy a turbo also makes it worse. Let me know what u decide and how it goes.

Cheers,

Spagz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:31 pm 
NT Member
NT Member

Australian State: NT
Cruiser Model: HDJ80 40th Anniversary
Year: 98
Hi,
as the team states a 1hdt or 1hdft will go much better, but the trusty old 1hz turbo'd will go heaps better than stock, a few of my mates have them and some have even put turbo's on fairly high milage ones as well and they seem to handle it, I have a fresh multi valve and there is a bit, but not that much difference. On a fresh 1hz with a turbo you will get heaps of k's out of it maybe only have to do big ends every 100,000, and it will be a heap cheaper than going the direct injection or multi valve way, save the bucks go the 1hz you will be happy.
cheers D.K.

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours