It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:28 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Offroad80s.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

If you are a registered user and are having troubles staying logged in or you attempt to log in and the forum dosent let you, Please read this post first If you are still having problems contact Admin.

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: FUEL TANK warning light on
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:50 pm 
VIC Member
VIC Member

Australian State: VIC
Cruiser Model: FZJ80 GXL
Transmission: Manual
Year: 93
My orange FUEL TANK warning light has decided to premantly come on my 1993 4.5L 80Series. I have tried to transfer fuel from my sub tank to my main by pressing the Sub Tank Switch but nothing happens. The green light does not light up and the transfer pump does not operate. I had a quick visual inspection of the transfer pump and wiring connectors but all seems ok.
Any ideas???

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: FUEL TANK warning light on
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:28 pm 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Australian State: NSW
Cruiser Model: HZJ80 DX
Year: 95
Not sure of your set up, But the sub tank is operated by pushing the sub tank button.The fuel is taken from this tank directly to to engine, If you put some fuel into your main tank the light will go out.
Unless you have a fuel transfer set up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:12 pm 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Cruiser Model: HDJ80 Sahara
Year: 91
Hey Pete,

He has a FZ mate, doesn't work anything like your diesel, it has a hi pressure fuel pump in the main tank to run the injection rail, these pumps are worth a fortune and will die if run dry, so on his, it pumps from the sub to the main via a factory transfer pump, hence he needs only one hi pressure fuel pump and it prevents the pump from ever being run dry by being in an empty/abused sub fuel tank.

The light you have on indicates that it has detected a problem with the transfer setup, ie can't tell if the main tank is full or the sub is empty, at which point it could over fill and pump fuel everywhere, so as a safe guard, once that light is on there will be no fuel transfer.

It is normally the floats jamming, there are 2 or maybe three, i think two for the fuel transfer setup and one for the main tank gauge. I have heard of people "resetting" the ECU (which is in the back in one of the quater panels, can't recall which one, been years since I owned an FZ)
which will turn off the ligh IF the floats have settled down and come good, problem is it is a temp fix as if the floats have jammed once then they will jam again.

PUll the main tank and have a sus may be the best way to fix it properly.

Cheers Glenn

Have you ever actually done this? I would drive ANYTHING that doesn't require pushing!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:28 pm 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Cruiser Model: FZJ80 RV
Year: 95
Had this problem with mine about a year ago, just came on, went searching through the manual (gregories) and tested both floats in relation to the testing proceedures set out ... both failed, so to fix this I have ran a positive and negative to the sub pump through a 30amp switch on the dash and a fuse near the battery.
the only problem with this set up is the computer still cant tell the levels of the tanks thus wont shut down the sub tank. It is up to me to determine when to switch on and off the transfer pump. I personally haven't had a problem with this set up yet however my light (fuel tank) has remained on - could be fixed just by taking out the bulb.

hope this helps

Cheers

Shaun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:27 pm 
VIC Member
VIC Member

Australian State: VIC
Just thought I would let everyone know that the Fuel Control ECU which is located in the LHR quarter panel was to blame for my orange FUEL TANK light being displayed on my dash and not being able to transfer fuel form the sub tank to the main. Its been on now for 3 months but finally found some time to have a look. I opened it up to find some melted connections so went down to the local wrecker and picked up a new one. So now I can use my Long ranger again :D Thanks for all your help espically 'terminatermule' for pointing me in the right direction.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:52 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Australian State: QLD
Transmission: Auto
DGS4WD wrote:
My orange FUEL TANK warning light has decided to premantly come on my 1993 4.5L 80Series. I have tried to transfer fuel from my sub tank to my main by pressing the Sub Tank Switch but nothing happens. The green light does not light up and the transfer pump does not operate. I had a quick visual inspection of the transfer pump and wiring connectors but all seems ok.
Any ideas???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:00 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Australian State: WA
Year: 96
Hi guys i also have the fuel tank light on. looking for the fuel control box in the lhr quater pannel. my question is, is it behind the plastic trim under the jack or out side in the wheel well

cheers

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours