It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Offroad80s.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

If you are a registered user and are having troubles staying logged in or you attempt to log in and the forum dosent let you, Please read this post first If you are still having problems contact Admin.

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Forced induction for the 1FZ-FE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:50 pm 
VIC Member
VIC Member

Australian State: VIC
Cruiser Model: FZJ80 GXL
Transmission: Manual
Year: 93
Well I thought I would start a thread on forced induction for anyone wanting to either turbo or super charge their 4.5L 1FZ-FE petrol engine.

I have started doing some research as I’m well overdue for some boost. Id personally prefer to buy a complete bolt on ready to go kit rather than messing around for god knows how long trying to make up a system to MAYBE save a few dollars. The kits might be expensive but at least spare parts would be easy to get and then there is warranty as well. At this present stage I really can’t decide/don’t know which way it is I want to go, a turbo or super charger.

There are only a few companies that offer complete kits so we don't have a huge choice, but its still a hard one!

UVE sells everything you need to super charge your mighty 80 series giving you just shy of 300kws (293kws to be exact, a massive improvement over the stock 165kws). There are readily available on eBay to buy for around $7,500.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUPERCHARGER-KIT ... 19b5e406cd

AXT sells all you need to get turbo charged and intercooled. They are also around the $7,500 give or take.

http://www.turbonetics.com.au/3077/index.htm

I have had the pleasure of being a passenger in a turbo charged 1FZ-FE but not a super charged one and its making it very hard to decide.

Any and all opinions and thoughts are welcome, espicially from those that have gone down this path all ready.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Forced induction for the 1FZ-FE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:02 pm 

Cruiser Model: HDJ80 GXL
Year: 96
I'm looking to go the turbo route shortly.

Check the Frequently Asked Posts before posting a potential common question

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:54 am 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Ive driven a freinds fathers vehicle that was done they used it for towing horse floats it was a safari turbo system very neat and went very well even pulled hard in 5th on the freeway .although it was awesome to drive of course the fuel gauge needle picked up momentum but yeah not too many around ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:47 pm 
NSW Member
NSW Member

Transmission: Auto
Year: 97
DGS4WD wrote:
At this present stage I really can’t decide/don’t know which way it is I want to go, a turbo or super charger.

Depends on what you want, Turbo is effectively free power as the boost is provided by was gasses anyway, a supercharger has a cost to providing the boost, so you need to use power to create power, obviously the loss is less than the gain or it would be a pretty stupid idea to do it.

There may be other advantages but a Supercharger can be geared to provide boost at a lower RPM than a Turbo, but then you can twin turbo to achieve a similar result, as a general rule you will not see lag in a supercharger as you do in a turbo. If I didn't have a turbo and was looking at such a mod I think I would go the supercharger route myself.

Barry

experience without knowledge is just guesswork

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:15 pm 
BANNED

For low speed driving and instant throttle response you want the supercharger. This is typically what your 4WD will be doing.
For high speed driving and heaps of power you want the turbocharger. This is probably not what your 4WD will be doing.

However for the price to 'charge your truck, you would be better off putting an LSx engine in, which would provide ample torque, noise, and throttle response to get you around. On the otherhand, if you use it for a bit of touring, then the spare parts will be a bit harder to come by...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:40 pm 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Australian State: QLD
Cruiser Model: HZJ80 Standard
Year: 90
Sprintex in WA do a supercharger kit for the 80 as well and very well priced $4400 inc GST plus freight, I spoke to Mark yesterday and went through it with him it includes a piggy back ecu to suit plus if needed they can fit or point you in the right direction for someone in your state to fit but for extra $"s. The kit only pumps out approx 5PSI so it's not too much strain on the engine,there is also bullit on the gold coast their kit with intercooler is more$ but a little more PSI up to 6 from memory, have been looking at this mod for a while pro's and con's with either turbo or supercharger but for myself the off-roading and towing I do I think a supercharger will be for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:04 pm 
VIC Member
VIC Member

Australian State: VIC
Ahh thanks cruzinto, didnt know about either of those 2, I must investigate further.

http://www.sprintex.com.au/Toyota_Landc ... r_Kits.asp

http://www.bulletcars.com/superchargers ... ystem.html

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:43 pm 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

Hi,
I just went through the same process. I have opted to fit a supercharged Chevy V8 Diesel to my 4.5 litre petrol 80 series rather than supercharge the 4.5. The main reason for doing this was I wanted something different and I wanted the torque and power down low for towing and 4wding. The job is being done by Bullet in Queensland. Please note that my company has business dealings with Bullet, however Tom and his team offer first rate service to everyone. I intend to do a build up thread once vehicle is complete.
regards
Drenno

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:42 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Cruiser Model: FZJ80 RV Advantage
I turbo'd my 1fz-fe myself.

Manifold $820 delivered- ebay
Turbo $800 delivered s/hand- ebay
Silicon hoses- $220 delivered- JJR
Front mount intercooler- $220 delivered- JJR
Cooler piping- local exhaust shod (mandrel bends) $300
Exhaust- 3" $550 delivered- ebay
Oil line- $80 delivered- ebay
Rising rate fuel pressure reg- $120- ebay
A weekend in the shed to fit it all and make all the piping

I'm in Bunbury WA so freight cost me a bit extra for the ebay bits over east.

Running 8psi boost safely. Produced a strong 194.4rwhp on 35" muddies. Bucket loads of torque.

Fuel economy- injected gas- 320km/90 towing a car trailer with a 2wd hilux on it ave 100kph

Off boost its just like driving before I fiited the turbo because we havent de-compressed the engine at all. So off road it not too aggressive that it spins the wheels everytime I touch the gas.

If anyone in WA is keen to build 1 I can lend a hand..send me an email to eon@iinet.net.au

cms80

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours