It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:39 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Offroad80s.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

If you are a registered user and are having troubles staying logged in or you attempt to log in and the forum dosent let you, Please read this post first If you are still having problems contact Admin.

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: 1HZ Power up mods
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:08 pm 
ACT Member
ACT Member

Cruiser Model: HDJ80 GXL
Year: 90
A few people have ask for more details about the lift pump to try and get a little more from the mighty 1HZ.

There are a few other things I did to get a little more from my 1HZ and I thought I'd share them.

Lift Pump:
I started by adding a Facet Posi-Flow fuel pump that had an output pressure of about 6psi. I installed it down near the main fuel change over solenoid. It ran whenever the ignition was in the run position.

When I installed the 1HD-T I removed that pump and installed a Walbro, also does about 6psi.

You don't want to go to high with the pressure, the fuel filter will leak and the pump doesn't like to much pressure. Remember, you're only trying to remove the need for the IP to suck the fuel from the tanks. The IP is not designed to receive pressure.

This mod allowed me to go up most hills between 5-10km/h quicker. Doesn't sound like much but 1HZ owners will salivate over a 5km/h improvement.......I know I did.

Extractors
I was given a set of Dominator extractors for the 1HZ. I had to clean them up a little as they been sitting around, unloved, for a couple of years. I installed these on the 1HZ with the OEM exhaust and found this gave me another 5-10km/h up most hills.

[b]Exhaust[b]
I was on a Roll and delirious that the truck with 1HZ was now holding 100km/H up a local hill that previously it struggled to do 80 up (both in 5th gear). I decided that a free flowing exhaust system was needed. I picked up a 3" free flowing system off evil bay that was meant for a 1HD-T. I modified it to suit the 1HZ and extractors. Another 5-10km/h increase. However 3" is to big for the 1HZ and made more noise then a street machine at Summer Nats. A 2.5" system will achieve the same outcome without your ears bleeding and your brain wanting to exit your body.

When I installed the 1HD-T I replaced the modified part of the exhaust for the original part.

[b]Engine[b]
The ultimate upgrade for the 1HZ is of course the 1HD-T. However, if you do want to stick a hair dryer on the 1HZ then I strongly recommend you budget for a Safari intercooler, a Decent boost gauge and Egt gauge. Never boost an after market turbo on a 1HZ any more then 8psi, unless your not planning on keeping the truck for to long.

Well, I hope that's of some help to some one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Come on, you know you want to.......

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 1HZ Power up mods
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:59 pm 
Champion
Champion

Cruiser Model: HZJ80 GXL
Year: 97
In relation to fitting inline or other electrical fuel supply pumps the law stipulates that the pump should stop supplying fuel when engine stops rotation.In case of a a major accident the engine may stop and but driver may not be in a position to turn key to off position, and if a fuel line is severed the pump will continue pump puel out and cause a dangerious situation.It therefore could cause an insurance problem
Cheers Phillip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:17 pm 
NSW Member
NSW Member

Transmission: Auto
magical wrote:
In relation to fitting inline or other electrical fuel supply pumps the law stipulates that the pump should stop supplying fuel when engine stops rotation.In case of a a major accident the engine may stop and but driver may not be in a position to turn key to off position, and if a fuel line is severed the pump will continue pump puel out and cause a dangerious situation.It therefore could cause an insurance problem
Cheers Phillip

Good point that, 80 liters of fuel being pumped out after an accident could be a real problem. I would hazard a guess that you could use the tacho impulse line connected to a small R/C circuit connected to an AND gate with the Ign switch and a relay would probably be a way around that. Even though it is unlikely to cause a problem you would be in strife if something did go wrong.

Barry

experience without knowledge is just guesswork

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Australian State: WA
Cruiser Model: I dont have an 80
Transmission: What did I just say?
Year: I dont have an 80 yet!!
Thanks for that. Some really good info there. I think I'll have to add the fuel pump and see how it goes - Im still working on getting approval for the rest of the exhaust :evil:

magical wrote:
Cheers Phillip

Good point, even so diesel wont create much of an issue compared to petrol spilling everwhere.

PM me if you'd like to be added to any of the state usergroups so you can view your states forum
Check the Frequently Asked Posts before posting a potential common question

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:17 am 
NSW Member
NSW Member

shanegtr wrote:
Good point, even so diesel wont create much of an issue compared to petrol spilling everwhere.

Oh I dont know about that, I used to work at a truck wrecking yard many many years ago and sure we used to oxy cutter for everything rather than spanners because it was diesel it was pretty safe. But on the odd occassion where we did set the diesel on fire is just burnt and burnt and was very difficult to put out. While it is unlikely you will get a fire if you do you would be surprised how well diesel will burn when it does start.

Barry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thats what I mean, its harder to ignite

PM me if you'd like to be added to any of the state usergroups so you can view your states forum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:08 pm 
NSW Member
NSW Member

shanegtr wrote:
Thats what I mean, its harder to ignite

Yeah but if it does ignite it's much harder to stop, still I would rather be standing in 80L of diesel than 80 litres of petrol, if the fumes didn't kill you some dickwad with a cigarette would.

Barry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pete, did you record any fuel consumption figures before and after all those mods?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:09 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Australian State: QLD
Cruiser Model: HZJ80 GXL
G'day

hook the fuel pump up to the oil pressure switch no oil pressure (engine off) no fuel pump

Cheers Waldo

Lifes like a sh!t sandwitch the more sh!t you eat the more bread you get

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:02 pm 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

Cruiser Model: HZJ80 Standard
Transmission: Manual
Year: 96
You could use the charge signal or oil pressure signal to switch the fuel pump on or off.

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:33 pm 
ACT Member
ACT Member

Now where to start :!: :!: :!:

Firstly the fuel pump pushing fuel all over the place in an accident or similar. The petrol 80 pumps fuel from the sub to the main whenever the sub fuel switch is engaged and ignition is on, only thing stopping it is the switch and the tank empty switch. Likewise, the petrol 80's main fuel pump will also pump whenever the ignition is on and will only stop when ignition is off. So what's the difference? Nothing, except I'd rather be standing in 80 ltrs of diesel than 80 ltrs of petrol. :twisted:

I did keep fuel figures, no change after all the mods. Rockhampton to Canberra towing a trailer with the front and rear Sahara diffs (brake to brake on both), 11.9ltrs/100km with mods. Canberra to Adelaide with car full of family, laugage and kitchen sink (you know what I mean) 11.6ltrs/100km without mods.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:21 am 
NSW Member
NSW Member

Robert Alley wrote:
You could use the charge signal or oil pressure signal to switch the fuel pump on or off.

Robert

I did think of the oil pressure sender but it's a gauge so it never really truly hits ground so a detection circuit would still be needed, also the oil pressure in a diesel usually gets very low at idle so a hot day, hard work then an idle period may cause a false positive (whoops no fuel but at least there is no fire risk).

I am not sure what the charge signal is, you used to have an exciter wire and a charge wire on an alternator (god knows what goes to them now) and both were active even of the engine was stopped but the Ign is on.

If you can find a connection somewhere that will be high/low based on the engine running or not then you already have what you want, if not you need to build one.

But the general concensus seems to be that diesel is safe so it's not needed, me personally I think they may have been to close to a petrol cruiser and have been overcome by the fumes :lol:.
Having started a few diesel fires by accident and knowing how well it burns not to mention the greenies getting stuck into you if you send 80 liters down a drain and possible insurance issues if something does go wrong is it worth it for the sake of a few $ to get it right.

Barry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:52 am 
NSW Member
NSW Member

Pete. R. wrote:
Lift Pump:
I started by adding a Facet Posi-Flow fuel pump that had an output pressure of about 6psi. I installed it down near the main fuel change over solenoid. It ran whenever the ignition was in the run position.

When I installed the 1HD-T I removed that pump and installed a Walbro, also does about 6psi.

You don't want to go to high with the pressure, the fuel filter will leak and the pump doesn't like to much pressure. Remember, you're only trying to remove the need for the IP to suck the fuel from the tanks. The IP is not designed to receive pressure.

This mod allowed me to go up most hills between 5-10km/h quicker. Doesn't sound like much but 1HZ owners will salivate over a 5km/h improvement.......I know I did.

You got me thinking when I read this as I have always had a problem with mine but it was intermittent and I believed it was some sort of a fuel starvation issue but not the pump or injectors.

I have 2 fuel filters the standard one and a Franz fuel filter + one of those stupid fuel enhancers. The Franz sits with the cartridge upside down and whenever you change the filter no fuel leaks out because it's drained out. This thread got me thinking about this and I wondered if this load of keeping the filter full when running was causing the starvarion issues so I pulled all but the standard filter off yesterday and the truck goes like the clappers now, I always thought it went well but it's even better now and so far no starvation issues.

I prefer the filter so I might look into one of these pumps, where dis you get it from.

Barry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:12 pm 
ACT Member
ACT Member

I picked the Posi-flow up from Super Cheap and the Walbro from a mate in QLD (2nd hand).

I've never seen a reason to run a second filter, unless you're running the truck on SVO. The OEM and CAV filters are up to the task as long as you keep watch on the water bowl (CAV). If you're not happy with filtration to 15 micro then swap the OEM out with your other one, but only if you know what the micron filtration of the other filter is and it's better then OEM.

I run mine on B100 so I filter to 5 micron and know exactly what is going into my tanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:30 pm 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

Anyone else tried the fuel pump mod? I'm curious as to whether the performance improvement is on all injector pumps or only those that have a little wear / restrictive fuel systems.

For the IP to deliver more fuel with the booster pump, the IP would have to either be vapourising some fuel (reducing volumetric efficiency) or have some leakage. It is likely that the IP has some leakage from factory.

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours