It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Offroad80s.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

If you are a registered user and are having troubles staying logged in or you attempt to log in and the forum dosent let you, Please read this post first If you are still having problems contact Admin.

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: 1HD-T Big End Bearings
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:37 pm 
ACT Member
ACT Member

Australian State: ACT
Cruiser Model: HDJ80 GXL
Transmission: Manual
Year: 91
The Big End Bearing issue...

My understanding why the 1HD-T had the Big End Bearing issue was that the bearings were designed for Japanese oils and here in Australia we tend to use API oils which caused the problem. Once they were replaced the problem no longer existed... and you could keep using the API Oils.

My bearings were replaced at 78,000km's 130,000km's ago (Mine had obvious flaking) I have been contemplating replacing them again but I have been using Caltex CXJ since the replacement and even though people say every 100,000km for peace of mind I am yet to hear that the second set were also flaking....

How many people have replaced them twice and were the bearings damaged after the second change at 100,000km's.. and or how many engines have dropped a rod after bearing replacement....

However after saying all that I am about to book in to get them done again - Peace of Mind at $400.00 is cheap...

http://www.youtube.com/user/KiwiPeteACT

Last edited by KiwiPete on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:40 pm 
VIC Member
VIC Member

my understanding was replace them once and you never have to worrie agean. is there any that have failed on there second set?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:52 pm 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Heya fellas

Mate, my parents were under the same impression, at 97 000k it went in for its 100 000k service which was done by toyota. A new set of big ends were fitted back then. At around 200 000 we though its all good they were replaced at 100 000, 8 000k's later it dropped number 5 Big end at 208 000k's, but luckily didnt cock a leg, it only chewed the crank, scored the bores, smashed a valve, smashed an injector, Bent a rod and gave the top of the piston and the top bottom of the head a touch up, not to mention all the metal that was floating around the motor that caused a hell of alot damage. At 304 000k's, We booked it in to get them replaced as the motor was on its 9ths life when it come to being rebuilt because the crank was machined to the max and bores were honed out 40thou. So we replaced them just for peice of mind. What do you know the top of #5 was flaking and worn down to Brass. So we fitted another set, but unfortunetly the motor only lived to 368 000k's as mum blew a heater hose on the freeway and didnt notice it until the sump oil started burning :roll: .

With my 1HDT the day after i bought it she went in to get new ones fitted. Their are alot of 80's with 1hdt's with new or rebuilt motors in the high 200 000k, because of this problem. So for the sake of $350 odd every 100k i get them changed reguardless of the condition, this way you have peice of mind, anybody who has a turbo 1HZ or 1HDT in my oppinion should change them every 100k why run the risk of a costly rebuild.

Mum now has a 1hd-ft and we replaced the big ends at 240 000 for interest sake as the original owner never did it, I must Admit they were in alot better condition compared to te 1HDT but the top of 3 and 5 had deffinate signs of age!

I am yet to hear of a 1hdt with over 300 000k's thats only had the big ends changed once and not had to be re-build

Troy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:06 am 
WA Member
WA Member

Australian State: WA
Cruiser Model: HDJ80 Sahara
Transmission: Auto
Year: 92
I remember reading somewhere that there were 2 different suppliers of bearings to the factory and 1 type had no problems whilst the other consistently failed. Toyota didn't know which engine had which so its playing russian roulette if you don't change em. My 80 will arrive next week and has 145k on it so I guess I know what the 1st job is. The snorkel has to wait till next pay doooh !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:33 am 
80 Newbie
80 Newbie

is this problem restricted to the turbo's or also the naturally aspirated models.
any particular years and what are the symptoms to look for ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:35 am 
NSW Member
NSW Member

Australian State: NSW
rapid wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that there were 2 different suppliers of bearings to the factory and 1 type had no problems whilst the other consistently failed. Toyota didn't know which engine had which so its playing russian roulette if you don't change em.

Does this mean which engine type eg. 1HZ, 1HDT. Or does it only apply to 1HDT and they don't know which engine numbers got which bearings.

I was thinking it applies to the 1HDT only , but just wanting to clarify.

thanks

91 GXL 1HDT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:05 am 
ACT Member
ACT Member

Australian State: ACT
celibaterifle wrote:

Does this mean which engine type eg. 1HZ, 1HDT. Or does it only apply to 1HDT and they don't know which engine numbers got which bearings.

I was thinking it applies to the 1HDT only , but just wanting to clarify.

thanks

This is really worth a read as Craig explains that it isn't the bearings that are of poor quality but the oil we have been using in the engines. Basically the 1HDT is a High Performance Diesel (if there is such a thing) and the oil we have been using will bugger the engine.. In Japan there are no reports of 1HDT's having bearing failures they use the correct oil's.... Caltex CXJ is one oil you should be using J = Japanese

http://www.markerink.org/WJM/HTML/80big ... s-scam.htm

http://forum.ih8mud.com/1538107-post8.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/KiwiPeteACT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:16 pm 
NSW Member
NSW Member

Year: 90
When I bought my truck I replaced big end, timing and tensioner. When taken out all was mickey mouse.

I would be doing mine regarless if it was a 1HZ, 1HD-T, or 1HD-FT.

I will still be doing mine on the next 100,00km though. For such a small thing to do it could save you alot of $$$ down the line. Its like do I change my oil @ 5k, 10k or 20k each to their own I do mine at 5k. Just my personal prefernce.

At the moment I am runing penrite diesel oil. Previous owner also ran this oil.

R.A.G.4X4
RUFF-AS-GUTS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:01 pm 
VIC Member
VIC Member

A family friend has a 1hdt that the BEB were replaced at 40 000km has 450 000 odd on it now and they havnt been looked at agean. so who knows it may be the oil. iv never seen or heard of a 1hz dopping a big end, thoe i have seen a 1hd ft drop one, however the owner didnt change oil for 20 000km periods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:32 pm 
NSW Member
NSW Member

Year: 97
vSAHARAx wrote:
I am yet to hear of a 1hdt with over 300 000k's thats only had the big ends changed once and not had to be re-build

Troy

I just bought (and sold on) a '91 1HDT with 403k's on the clock and it had never had the big ends done (or anything else in the motor except adjust valves !!). I can say this with certainty as I had every servce receipt from new. It was serviced at Toyota every 5k using there oils and filters. It ran better and smoother than my 97 1HDFT with 1/2 the k's. :wink:

97 TD Auto GXL 80 with 33's and lockers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:40 pm 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Surfin Alec wrote:
vSAHARAx wrote:

Troy

I just bought (and sold on) a '91 1HDT with 403k's on the clock and it had never had the big ends done (or anything else in the motor except adjust valves !!). I can say this with certainty as I had every servce receipt from new. It was serviced at Toyota every 5k using there oils and filters. It ran better and smoother than my 97 1HDFT with 1/2 the k's. :wink:

Have also heard that toyota used to slip in a complementory set of big ends with no qns asked. Dont know if it is true, as heard it through the grape vine.....Well the fella who rebuilt our motor at 200 000k :P

In that case ill say "I am yet to hear of a 1hdt with over 300 000k's thats only had the big ends changed once and not had to be re-build.........That hasnt been serviced at toyota once out of warrenty.

4. 94 Daihatsu Feroza - (Trailer Queen)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:44 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

WASN'T MOST OFF THIS TO DO WITH PRE 1996 MOTORS BOTH 1 HZ & 1 HDT I THOUGHT THE BEARINGS WERE SORTED OUT AFTER THAT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:05 am 
Outside Aus

Cruiser Model: HDJ81 VX Import
I am extremely worried about my 1HD-T - its a '91 and a strange noise seems to be coming from the engine - it happens around 1200rpm with my foot slightly on the acc. It kind of sounds like a bunch of marbles are running around in the engine!
Could this be my BEBs?

I've heard of alot of 80 owners changing the BEBS themselves, is it easy?
Can I just remove the sump and inspect what they are like - or do I have to pully off the BEBs and check them that way?

This sound is making me very nervous.

What are the costs involved in getting it done by Toyota? I did talk to them about it but they said that they had never had a problem with them in New Zealand, and that the only issues were with the 1HD-Ts in the Toyota Coaster Busses.

Thanks

Very Concerned Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:44 pm 
NSW Member
NSW Member

Year: 90
mate if you find out what makes that noise, you will be a champ.

So many 80`s make that noise. Sounds like it is coming from the bell housing correct?

Dont know what makes it, I had it, and then it went...eh

R.A.G.4X4
RUFF-AS-GUTS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:08 pm 
QLD Member
QLD Member

Does the noise go away when you put your foot on the clutch?

4. 94 Daihatsu Feroza - (Trailer Queen)

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours