It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:15 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Offroad80s.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

If you are a registered user and are having troubles staying logged in or you attempt to log in and the forum dosent let you, Please read this post first If you are still having problems contact Admin.

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: 1fz supercharger
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:56 pm 
WA Member
WA Member

Australian State: WA
Cruiser Model: FJ80 GXL
Transmission: Manual
Year: 96
What r people's opinions on putting blowers on these engines? I'm looking at a sprintex maybe? I'm unsure as to what it'll do to the economy, what are ur opinions?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 1fz supercharger
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:48 pm 
WA Member
WA Member

Cruiser Model: FZJ80 GXL
Transmission: Auto
Year: 95
Sprintex is a good choice, quality product. I haven't used one but a bloke I spoke to a few years back had one on his 80 series and said it had heaps of torque but fuel economy wasn't any better, could have been the excitement of putting the boot into it and having it go like a scalded cat.

-------------------------------------------------------
I love animals, they all taste good!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:22 am 
SA Member
SA Member

Cruiser Model: FZJ80 RV
Year: 93
I went for a quick trip in a sprintex blown 80 just the other week. This particular vehicle was featured in 4wdA only a few issues ago. Very heavy car. bar work, roof top tent and very extensive interior fitout. over 3 tonne. I must say I was impressed. The fit of the kit was very neat. the blower is almost silent in its operation. just a little whine to let you know its there. throttle input to cruise around is about nothing ( I admit I didnt actually drive but I was taking notes) Fuel economy is not extensively better I'm told but no worse. and at least it has some grunt to go with the fuel bill. This particular 80 was an auto so it didnt feel like an absolute rocket ship it just built torque from nowhere and would just hold 4th up a pretty big hill and not hunt back down the box. Then we did a u turn to go back and hazed all 4 33" BFG MT's :mrgreen:

The best bit I reckon is if you take all things into consideration, its easily the most affordable power upgrade you can do to the 1FZFE. If you fit it up yourself, the kit is a shade over 5K inc GST+ a bit of faffing around with tuning etc and you have good useable grunt for half the cost of an engine swap. I am tempted now.
And I reckon with a manual gearbox it would be even a bit more awesome but I beleive slightly trickier to set up the fuelling.

Other things to consider
If you have a pre update 80 ie 93, 94, early 95 here may be some more computer issues due to the early style AFM. I reckon if I did it I would go full aftermarket ECU and get rid of the AFM altogether. But that said I think the Piggy back ECU that comes with the kit can be sorted to work. best bet is to talk to Sprintex in WA or a local dealer. they can point you in the right direction on that part.
The other advantage I see is the fact you dont have to engineer another engine into the hole. The kit fits as though it was meant to be there and its not like the 1FZFE is a bad motor. Its a very good and strong and quite running bit of kit designed for a heavy vehicle. A good thing IMHO.
There is also a turbo to consider and many will say more efficient and more powerful. This may or may not be the case but from what I've learnt the turbo kit off the shelf cant touch the supercharger kit for cost and the supercharger also means you can keep your existing exhaust and so on. better if you have dropped serious coin on extractors and free flowing muffler etc.
The blower makes its power really early so on normal light throttle driving, it has already done its work before the auto wants to change gears so it seems to just flow power rather than having to be "built up" if you know what I mean.
You could also do well to check the alternatives like what Guzzla has done to his 80 and documented on here. Also very awesome but maybe a fair bit more coin and development. The Sprintex kit is less power but enough to make a change and it will take a lazy weekend.

My 127c on the topic anyway...

Craig.

12/93 FZJ80
4500 cc of petrol and LPG guzzling goodness

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:29 am 
SA Member
SA Member

Cruiser Model: FZJ80 RV
Year: 93
Also to clarify my scomment " it didn't feel like an absolute rocketship"
Nothing does to me because I'm tainted. I have an exceptionally fast motorbike and have recently been in a 570HP stroker fairlane that spends much time sideways. So pretty much nothing feels that quick to me. But jumping back into my 80 puts everything back into some perspective and yeah, I'd like the grunt from the sprintex for sure

Craig.

12/93 FZJ80
4500 cc of petrol and LPG guzzling goodness

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:44 am 
BANNED

Australian State: QLD
Cruiser Model: HDJ80 GXL
Year: 92
Ive had a supercharged 4.5. Just a small project when I was younger on a comp truck with an import supercharger retro fitted. By far the best and easiest is the factory supercharger. Years and years ago alljap used to import 1fzfe-t, 1fzfe-s. These where factory supercharged and turbo'd engines. The supercharger is the kazuma trd, built and designed for the 4.5. Very easy fitment and alot of R and D for performance. Some companies around still import them (superchargers, not the complete engines. They stopped them years ago).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:10 am 
WA Member
WA Member

Cruiser Model: FJ80 GXL
Brad.S wrote:
Sprintex is a good choice, quality product. I haven't used one but a bloke I spoke to a few years back had one on his 80 series and said it had heaps of torque but fuel economy wasn't any better, could have been the excitement of putting the boot into it and having it go like a scalded cat.

Haha this is what I think I'd be doing if I fitted one, enjoying the power and flogging it everywhere then bitch it used so much fuel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:13 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Cruiser Model: FZJ80 RV Advantage
$5k for a supercharger? Thats up there!!

I managed to do my Turbo conversion for $3500 with the extras (intercooler, 3" exhaust) and is a proven performer.

Having spoken to someone that has built a supercharged cruiser- he said he would prefer a turbo over the supercharger now that he has been through the process.

Speak to John from Turboglide. Pretty sure he was looking at doing Turbo kits for around $3500

My rig recently dyno'd at 235rwhp 8psi boost on 35" mud tyres.
It runs on injected gas and I get 360-400km/ 90l

I can feel and see the difference the turbo makes in my rig with the front lifting around 3" when she comes on boost and you can feel it push you into the seat.

I am not biased as I race a 400hp skyline and used to own a 650hp gtr skyline..

My 2c for ya anyway..

Contact Us | All times are UTC + 10 hours